Pages

31.10.12

Spring Break Training

I didn't expect to be going to Boot Camp. No one prepared me for this. Spring break training in Arizona. In the morning we hiked 4 miles around Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte. Three of the boys had bikes and the rest of us hiked. That worked fine until we got to the steep upgrade with a sign that said "No Bikes--$300.00 Fine." The 13 year old, the 5 year old and I continued the hike up, up and around Bell Rock. Did I mention up? My husband biked back the easy downhill with the other boys (he must have planned that). My 5 year old is pretty tough but 4 miles uphill in the heat is a lot. I had to give him a ride. Just 40 pounds on my back. No weight training needed today. My husband meets me at the van with water. "I thought you were going to be mad at me." I say nothing. I get in the van just for the sheer pleasure of sitting down.
After lunch, we headed out on what was supposed to be a scenic drive so we could all have a break. Sixteen year old had other idea. Let's ride the bikes on the Chuck Wagon Trail to The Devil's Bridge (a magnificent natural bridge) in the middle of nowhere. It was the nowhere part that caught me off guard. There I was mountain biking on a single track that wound up, over, down, in between. Rocks? Cactus? Hairpin turns? More rocks? Steep, sandy dry gulch? Yes, me and the 8 year old pushed our bikes most of the way. Isn't that what mountain biking is all about? Crusted in red sand, bruised, sun-burned and raked by sharp branches, we made it back before dusk. "Are you okay?" asks beloved husband when we finally make it to the van. In sickness and in health. Gotta love this family.

By mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment