Pages

31.8.10

Bliss: Chained to Digital Devices

The pool, a really good book (The Connected Educator), pistachio nuts and water--that's how I started my morning. Oh, the kids? They were imprisoned in the motel room and chained to digital devices. That worked for me. I had two hours of uninterrupted bliss and, actually, so did they.
Waves washing over them
Then we strolled along the paved walk around the canal at Lake Havasu. The walkway was crowded with scantily clad spring break college kids. There were folks giving away free frisbees, Monster and SoBe drinks to anyone walking passed them. Our children don't get specialty drinks at home (we thrive on mostly milk, water and juice) so they enjoyed the opportunity to sample extensively. After bottling up, we left for the semi-private beach at the State Park. We enjoyed alfresco lunch without the crowds. The smaller children began building with stones, dumping water, moving rocks, and engaging in free play at the edge of the water. For them, this was much more fun than the Grand Canyon.
As the sun was setting, we went to Sara Park to go mountain biking. Unfortunately, it became too dark, too fast. The oldest zipped around and jumped over rocks. He had fun. I watched and kept my mouth shut. I can not ride like him. I walked the bike more than I wanted. The ride was short. The oldest loaded the the bikes back on the rack at the back of the van and I finished the workout with a run. The blogging child was forced to run with me as we were in a deserted area of a desert park in the dark.  I was thankful I could run. I have arthroscopic knee surgery in less then a week and I hope to show up on the operating table in decent shape.

By Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment